Announcement on Implementation of BTS CNVOTE Patch
The entire bitshares community has been shocked since the BTS core developer (Abit who was hired by blockchain via DPOS) tampered with the code privately on July 31, 2020. As a response, CNVOTE, which represents the interests of around 666 investors, developed a patch as a response. CNVOTE tried all the efforts to get the involved parties back to the negotiating table in order to roll BTS4.0 functions back to point where whole community voted and agreed upon. For the functions that developer added without bts holder’s voting, we will put it on hold and wait for further voting result. CNVOTE is teaming up with bitshares community members from all over the world to protect the legitimate rights and interests of bitshares investors and maintain the sanctity of DPOS consensus and DEFI credit.
CNVOTE conducted multiple rounds of communication with the parties involved, clarified the main demand of BitShares community, and prompted the bitshares committee to initiate a proposal to re-vote against the tampering codes. Unfortunately, the developer that BTS hired not only rejected the reasonable demands from community, but more astoundingly, the developer ,who was hired by blockchain via DPOS, refused to hand over the GitHub core code administrator rights back to bts committee and stated clearly that he will refuse to accept the results of the new proposal voting.
Since the birth of Bitshares in 2014, BTS has grown to where it is today because the community has always followed the DPOS consensus. However, in this incident, the developer (Abit) challenged the community consensus, controlled the official code repository, and tampered with the code without a vote by the community. His behavior has seriously trampled the community consensus, violated professional ethics, violated the spirit of the contract, and was suspected of serious malfeasance. This brings huge risks to investors, and CNVOTE retains the power to pursue further legal actions.
The patch plan proposed by CNVOTE has received positive responses from BTS community, and has also been widely supported by all parties, as follows:
1) Some big ticket bunkers had reached an agreement with the CNVOTE, condemned the behavior and voted unanimously with the CNVOTE;
2) Among the existing 19 active witnesses, 12 witnesses have announced their support publicly for installing the patch issued by CNVOTE;
3) AEX and XBTS exchanges stated that they will support the distribution of candies in the event of a hard fork. Major exchanges including Binance, Huobi, and ZB have also expressed their close attention to the distribution of candies or even list forked coin on their platform for trading;
4) CNVOTE has communicated and negotiated with all gateways, wallets, and nodes within BTS ecosystem, exchanged opinions, and basically reached a consensus on various statements.
In order to protect the rights and interests of BTS holders, maintain the reputation of the community and the sanctity of DPOS consensus, on August 17, 2020, more than 666 members of CNVOTE passed the following resolutions after voting at the general meeting:
The BTS4.0 system upgrade patch will be activated at 21:55 on September 10, 2020, Beijing time CST.
Later, we will open the test network as soon as possible, please be sure that all witnesses to run and test the patch on the test network as soon as possible. We will release test network information in a timely manner, please pay attention to our later notice
If during this period (from now to September 10) , a new consensus emerges from the community through a voting on the chain , we will promptly amend the patch when time comes or we will release amend patch according to the community consensus right after upgrade on September 10 . BitCrab has issued a BAIP voting. We call on all bts holders to vote in timely manner in order to form a community consensus as soon as possible.
Once again, CNVOTE has never been in pursuit of a fork and tried our best to resolve the issue through peaceful negotiations, Unfortunately, the developer hired by blockchain not only rejected the reasonable demands from community, more astoundingly, the developer refused to hand over the GitHub official code repository administrator rights back to committee and stated clearly that he will refuse to accept the results of the new proposal voting. In order to maintain the foundation of trust in the blockchain , CNVOTE have no choice but fighting back.
CNVOTE calls on exchanges and wallets providers to Uphold the principle of fairness and openness, and resolutely resist the chain of illegally altered code. Due to the upgrade patch has a high probability to cause a hard fork, we suggest exchanges and wallets providers in advance to prepare for snapshot and airdrop benefits for platform BTS holders.
All BTS ecological facilities such as witnesses, API nodes, blockchain browsers, wallet, etc. supported by CNVOTE should support the patched chain! We need to work together to maintain the credit and justice of the BTS blockchain and dignity of DPOS.
In addition, the appendix is the complete story of this incident for reviewing
BitShares China Association: CNVOTE
The official website：http://btsgh.com/
August 17, 2020
BTS4.0 upgrade tampering code incident
1. On the evening of July 31, 2020, the BTS4.0 version was successfully upgraded, and some users found that the voting interface was abnormal.
2. On the night of July 31, the representative of the BTS committee asked the core developer(abit) about the reason for causing the UI voting abnormal behaviours. Core developer “abit” said that the voting system has undergone four major changes, namely: voting weight decay, one vote for one vote for committee elections, locked voting, and return of non-locked accounts to zero and shuting down Collateral BTS voting rights. Later in night, abit announced the details of these changes in the forum.
3. These changes have not been voted and publicized, and even no one of the BTS committee board members knows. The incident quickly fermented and all parties condemned “abit”.
4. On August 1, CNVOTE voted to remove all the votes for abit (witness and committee board member)
5. On August 2, the technical staff of the CNVOTE started to develop 4.0 upgrade patch.
6. Some BTS investors and eco-participants said that although Abit violate BTS DOPS to make the changes , the content of the changes are somewhat reasonable. There was a heated debate within the community.
7. On August 10, the CNVOTE patch was developed and tested. After core group voted, CNVOTE issued a statement calling on witnesses to install the patch in order to maintain the DPOS consensus mechanism.
8. From August 10th to 11th, 5 witnesses declared that they did not support CNVOTE patch, and 3 witnesses declared that they supported CNVOTE patch.
9. On the evening of August 11, the controversy became more intense due to the continued fermentation of the incident. For the sake of prudence, more than 666 CNVOTE members conducted full discussion and voting. The conclusion was to push the witnesses to install patch in order to continue to maintain the credit and justice of the BTS blockchain and dignity of DPOS.
10. On August 12, the CNVOTE formed a 9-person response team to study the situation and make suggestions to the CNVOTE community .
11. On August 13, CNVOTE decided to withdraw votes from five witnesses who announced that they did not support patch after a cnvote core group vote. Including BTS community veteran BITCRAB, community veteran mobile wallet software developer “magic-wallet”.
12. From August 13th to 14th, 9 witnesses (including inactive witnesses) spoke out to support CNVOTE patch.
13. On August 16, BDEX, the largest individual voting warehouse ，team up with CNVOTE to vote 6 witnesses who declared that they supported patch installation, and withdrew our votes from three witnesses who neither declared support for the installation nor declared not to support the installation of the patch. So far, 12 of the 19 active witnesses have clearly stated that they support patch installation.
14. On the afternoon of August 16, the representative of the CNVOTE communicated with “abit”,”abit” refused to give up the super administrator authority of the bitshares github code base and also disagree to create a work proposal to vote in order to get the voting system changes official. In the afternoon (CST), ALT, the biggest stake holder in BTS, said although he opposed abit’s behavior, he did not want to see the community fork.
15. On August 17, CNVOTE voted by all members. Due to the failure of the negotiation, the announcement decided to activate the 4.0 upgrade patch at 21:55 pm on September 10th.